Tips for Acne Prevention and Management
Here are some tips for looking after skin that has acne and acne prone skin.
- Perform the Dermalogica Double Cleanse, beginning with PreCleanse follow with a proper cleanser two times per day.
- Always be gentle with your skin and apply home use exfoliation gently.
- Apply an oil free moisturize.
- Avoid popping pimples, as this creates acne scars.
- Hold the telephone away from the face when talking, as it is likely to contain sebum and skin residue.
- Wash hands frequently, especially before applying lotions, creams, or makeup.
- If acne is on the back, shoulders, or chest, try wearing loose clothing to let the skin breathe.
- Choose makeup for sensitive skin and avoid oil-based products. Remove makeup before sleeping.
- Keep hair clean, as it collects sebum and skin residue. Avoid greasy hair products.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure, as it can cause the skin to produce more sebum.
Health Tips to Enhance Healing
- Wash skin gently with warm water and an irritant-free cleanser. Avoid scrubbing, which can stimulate sebum production. Do not use make-up that will clog pores.
- If you have gas, bloating, indigestion or constipation, you have low stomach acid. Add a supplement with betaine hydrochloride or digestive enzymes to improve digestion.
- Avoid the use of self prescribed antibiotics, which can cause Candida (yeast overgrowth) and vaginal infections that will worsen acne symptoms in the long term and may have little effect on the acne.
- Focus on a diet rich in fruits and vegetables along with 25g of fiber to help naturally eliminate estrogen. Avoid foods that you know aggravate the condition.
- Treat constipation. Holding days of toxic waste increases the amount of toxins excreted by the skin.
Health Tips to Fight Stress and Prevent Acne
- Breathing is a powerful de-stressing tool. Several times per day, breathe in through your nose and fill your lungs with air until your abdomen rises. Then slowly exhale until your lungs are empty. Repeat these five times.
- Get eight hours of sleep every night and try to sleep until 7:30am in the morning.
- Just say “no” when you have too much to accomplish in the day.
- Share the household workload with family members.
- Eat 7 - 10 1/2 cup servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Smile! This helps to purge negative emotions, such as anger and hatred.
- Get help in dealing with grief. The loss of a loved one, a divorce or the loss of a job, all produce grief. Immune suppression is the result when grief is not dealt with.
- Carpe diem-seize the day-and live it to the fullest. Don’t worry so much about tomorrow.
- Believe in yourself. Negative self-talk and continually doubting your abilities hamper your body’s ability to heal.
- See the beauty around you. Smell the flowers, watch the sunset and listen to the wind.
- Love your family and friends and be forgiving.
- Be good to yourself. Most of us are our own worst enemies. We focus on our weaknesses and minimize our strengths. Wake up each day and tell yourself you are a good and useful person.
- Do the things you have always wanted to do. Learn to water ski, sing in a choir, write a book, tell stories to your grandchildren, walk, garden-whatever makes you happy.
- Seek your spiritual side. This does not have to be religious, although those with strong religious beliefs generally live at peace and feel protected. Most of us believe in something greater than ourselves, a spiritual power that offers solace and helps us find the quiet place within.
- Avoid scratching or squeezing acne, which interrupts the healing process and leads to recurrent acne scars.
Call Nell Laser Clinic at 416-228-0011 to book a complementary consultation session for acne and acne scars treatments and advice.