FYI: For Your Information
What is Micro-Needling?
Micro-needling is an innovation in aesthetic medicine for the treatment of wrinkles, acne scars, hypertrophic scars, melasma, stretch mark, periorbital melanosis (darkness around eyes), androgenetic alopecia, and enlarged pores. During this procedure, tiny reciprocating disposable needles are used to create controlled micro-injuries. The micro-channeling causes the release of growth factors and utilizes the natural healing force to enhance production of new collagen and elastin that improve the scars and wrinkles. Normal woven collagen rather than scar collagen is deposited at the treated site. Collagen formation through normal wound healing process (inflammation, proliferation, remodeling) can be seen in 12 weeks. After micro-needling treatment, slight edema (swelling) which resolves in 24 hours and mild erythema (redness) lasting 2-4 days is expected. Usually the number of sessions and the interval between sessions are dependent on the skin condition. Microneedling also helps to increase the absorption of skin serums and nutrients. It can be combined the treatment with topical creams or other interventions such as laser therapy. It could help potentiate the effects of serums and skin care products or make their effects last longer.
What are the benefits of Micro-Needling Treatments?
- Acne scars are improved;
- Fine lines and wrinkles are reduced;
- Younger looking skin;
- Used as hyper- and hypo-pigmentation treatments;
- Facial scar removal and stretch mark removal;
- Helps hair loss/Alopecia;
- Generally, there is a new glow to the skin.
What areas can be treated with Micro-Needling?
What does it feel like?
Like light sandpaper being moved over the skin. There is little discomfort.
Microneedling also helps to increase the absorption of other drugs. It can be combined the treatment with topical creams or other interventions such as laser therapy. It could help potentiate the effects of dermatological products or make the effects last longer.
What is the downtime?
As little as 24 hrs. and up to 4 days, depending on the area being treated
When will I see results?
- Immediately, the skin glows;
- Collagen production continues several days and weeks after treatment;
- Collagen continues to be produced up to 6 months after.
Watch Micro-Needling Treatment Video
00:00 | 00:26
How many treatments will I need?
- There is really no limit to the number of micro-needling treatments you can undergo during your lifetime. When targeting a specific condition, the number of procedures would depend on the condition you want to treat. For scars or stretch marks, you may need about 4-5 procedures to achieve excellent results. If you’re targeting wrinkles or sagging skin, you may not need to go under the needle more than thrice a year, advanced photo-aging, stretch marks or acne scars: 6-8 treatments spaced 6 weeks apart.
Micro-needling and Alopecia Treatment
Microneedling increases blood supply to the hair follicles, and the reciprocating action of the Pen stimulates the dermal papilla and stem cells. This collagen induction has been shown to promote healthy hair growth and is the safest method of collagen induction therapy.
Microneedling leaves the epidermis (outer layers of the skin) undamaged and intact because it is non-intrusive; like Acupuncture. Micro-needling uses common topical scalp treatment products usually used to treat hair loss, but the absorption is increased by 5 times or more. After the procedure, the scalp will naturally heal itself.
Although treating Alopecia with Microneedling or INNOPen is relatively new, it has been proven effective on multiple clients. It is suitable for hair loss in both men and women.
Make an appointment for a complimentary consultation today: 416-228-0011.